RE: [TR] Dyno'd my TR4 last night

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Dyno'd my TR4 last night
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:53:31 -0800
> One of the local car clubs I belong to had a tech session last night,
> and members were given the chance to dyno their cars. I couldn't
> resist and put my stock TR4 on the machine. It made 80.5 hp at 5l000
> rpm and 93 ftlbs of torque -woo hoo!!.

Pretty good for measuring at the rear wheels.  The published 100 bhp figure
was taken at the flywheel (there is considerable loss through the gearbox,
differential and tires) and was likely somewhat optimistic (probably taken
without water pump, fan, dynamo, etc.)

> How do you know if your engine needs rebuilding?

The three big things would be compression that varies too much from cylinder
to cylinder, low oil pressure, and excessive oil burning.

> My car goes
> through about a quart of oil every 2000 miles (not sure how much is
> due to leakage and if this is excessive),

Can't find it at the moment, but ISTR reading somewhere in the factory
literature that more than 1 pint in 250 miles is considered excessive.  That
was probably an Imperial pint ...

> my oil pressure seems good
> (according to the gauge), and the engine feels strong.

Then just drive it !  It sounds fine.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org