[TR] TR3A Rear brake freshening

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR3A Rear brake freshening
From: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:34:32 -0800 (PST)
While I've got the carbs out for rebuilding by mr. jeff playa, I decided to
take a look at the rear brakes. I've had issues since acquiring TS75434 with
the parking brakes barely holding the car on even the slightist incline. I
think I figured out why. When I pulled the drums, I was presented with quite a
layer of oil and gunk on all the internals. Not quite sure what happened, but
it needs to be cleaned up now. The shoes don't look too bad, will a good
soaking in degreaser and brake cleaner get the oil out of them? They all mic at
around 5/16" of padleft. Should I invest in new shoes, or just work with what I
have? And, how hard is it to get the shoes out? I noticed they held in place
with pins and clips, and it looks like the parking brake mechanism will need to
be removed. The wheel cylinders look ok, with no leaking and the adjusters work
as they should. I will just go by the "red book" instructions to get the shoes
out unless someone speaks up with any "gotchas" that
 they went through. Thanks for any help.

And, while on the parking brake, I noticed the mechanism only moves a fraction
of an inch when fully drawn in. There is a small amount of travel in the
"swivel connector" that controls both brake before the mechanism moves. Seems
to be a little slack in the cable. Looks like there is a little adjustment (in
the form of extra threads with 2 nuts) in the connectors to the swivle that
might take up some of the slack. But, it looks like a pain to get a hand, much
less a wrench, in there. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Richard

===     http://www.vtr.org