[TR] TR4A Restore Progress Report

Subject: [TR] TR4A Restore Progress Report
From: "Guy D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 16:41:38 -0600
The brake lines and fuel line are now on the chassis. The fuel line was
already new from the work that mom had done, so it was reused. The brake
lines were cleaned with a wire wheel and closely inspected; especially
the connectors. After looking them over I decided they were worthy of
reuse also.

I ordered a brand new, original-styled, stainless dual exhaust system.
After it arrived I took everything out of the large box and laid it all
out to ensure that I had all the pieces. Turns out that I did not, which
was quickly remedied by the good folks at TRF. Once I got all the parts
in, I set them aside to install on a later day; the day when I have the
rebuilt engine on the chassis as well. Without the engine in place,
which would positively provide the location of the exhaust header, I
wouldn't know where to position the down pipes of the exhaust, thus
calling into question the overall position of the other exhaust
components. Although I admit I was tempted to go ahead add the exhaust,
my better sense won over and I elected to wait until I could accurately
place it.

I spent just about every Saturday during February in the shop
disassembling the engine. My decision to tear it down completely was
made after dropping the sump and observing several large pieces of shiny
metal in the mix. After consulting with the more experienced lads from
the TR Mailing List, I decided that it just made more sense to tear the
engine completely down because I did not know what else might be
damaged: prudence demanded it. Turns out that the camshaft was the
source of all the metal, with several lobes being very ugly indeed.

As the tear-down progressed everything was carefully removed, labeled,
bagged, and stored away. I then took the block, crankshaft, head and
connecting rods to the machine shop to have them looked over for
warping, cracks, etc. and to have the crankshaft measured. At this time
I am assembling a list of parts I will need, developing a rebuild plan
and seeking out the advice of more experienced people.

As a result of all this recent work, I've added a "Brake/Fuel Lines" and
"Engine Rebuild" items to the "Renewal" section of the web site, and
will be updating the Engine Rebuild page as work progresses.

Thanks to everyone on the list that has assisted on this project to
date.

Peace be with you!

Guy D. Huggins

1965 Triumph TR4A