[TR] 12Volt STARTUP...well kinda

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] 12Volt STARTUP...well kinda
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:23:48 -0500
All day I worked on my engine but it was late into the day before I decided
that my Nissan truck and 'jump box', combined, might still be inadequate
current.  Silly thought.  With the big family car all cabled up AND a change
of wire to the rebuilt starter my starter came to life!  Not so silly
afterall.  I had yet to resort to my 'batteries hooked in series = 24v silly
idea!  I'll now pay more attention to those who say, "700 amps are needed."

Although my newly rebuilt motor sounded then like it wanted to start, it
only did so on two tries for about 5 seconds each.  On both those occasions
I had sprayed starting fluid into both SU's.  So when it started on those
attempts the rpm's screamed bloody murder.  I hope the total of 10 seconds
(or so it seemed) did not do damage.  Fortunately, I had put a switch on the
small wire to the sw terminal of the coil and I immediatly 'cut this cord.'
when this happened. (well almost immediatly).  Unfortunately, during this
brief 'run' I was unable to tweak any settings.  But I still  think timing
was not what it should have been.

Sometimes electrics are very bizarre!  Buried somewhere there is proably a
consistent answer, but my points' connectivity was sometimes absent with a
solid distributor and new points.  Several folks suggested a Petronics and
I'm hoping to one day change over!  But for now, I'm stuck with a feeler
gauge.  BTW, since we're talking about dependability, the 30 veteran starter
rebuilder guru I used said, "your lucky you've got a Lucas starter, those
Bosch units aren't as good."  One man's trash, is another's TR... oh well.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Some said "check the spark" others said "check
TDC".  And now unless you think otherwise, I'm gonna think that 'spark' is
getting to each cylinder, and thus bypass the 'testing of the spark  by
using the normal way'.  I've also studied the Bentley Manual and I am sure
I've found TDC as they have shown (with both #1 valves are closed).

I think my first problem now is getting an adequate supply of fuel to the
carbs.  No doubt I'll be asking questions tomorrow.  Thanks a billion
folks...
Yours truly,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A