[TR] RE: TR6: new steering is very tight - setting the hub clearance

To: "Triumphs Digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [TR] RE: TR6: new steering is very tight - setting the hub clearance
From: "Lanoway, Brian" <Brian_Lanoway@standardaero.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:04:01 -0600
On March 20, 2006,Greg <one_second_zero@yahoo.com> wrote

                "Another question while I'm at it:  When I installed the front
hubs on the
spindles with new grease seals and bearings, with the crown nut slacked off
just enough to get the hub loose enough to turn, I could barely get the cotter
pin into the hole in the spindle because the crown nut was out too far on the
spindle threads.   It was almost like something was thicker than before.
Maybe the grease seal?  Anyone run across this before.  I'd like to have the
hub a little more loose than it is, but I could barely get the pin in as it
is."

Greg,

After installing new grease seals and bearings on the front hubs, make sure
you bottom out the seal packing and 'seat' the bearing through all the extra
grease I'm sure you put in.  Do this by excessively torquing the assembly (use
a torque wrench and tighten it until you feel it hits bottom, while watching
that you don't continue to overly torque it which might damage the metal
parts), back off the torque completely and then retighten by hand and set your
hub clearance with everything 'seated'.  This may provide the clearance you
require between the cotter pin hole and the crown nut.

I discovered the need to do this after doing my own seals and bearings and
found that my front brake disk wobbled when rotated.  Seating the seal and
bearing like this solved that problem.  I think there was a comment on the
need to do this on the List a couple of years back.

Cheers,
Brian Lanoway
1973 TR6 CF6985U
Winnipeg