[TR] Valve Adjusting

To: CarlSereda@aol.com
Subject: [TR] Valve Adjusting
From: "James R. Holekamp" <jholekamp@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:37:02 -0600
Carl wrote:

Or eliminate using a gauge by getting one of those handy Snap-On or
ClikAdjust 'valve adjuster' tools. You turn the Snap-On tool knob (1/4 turn
equals
exactly .010") or on the ClikAdjust each 'click' equals .002".

This is probably not exactly  true. The 'Clik-adjust' tool is made so that the
cliker has 30 steps per one revolution of the screwdriver / operating knob.  A
1/4 turn of the screwdriver / knob of the Snap-On  (V-21A, V-21B, V-21E, V-22,
V-22A) Type valve adjust tool would equal 1/4 of 30 or 7.5 clicks on the
'Clik-adjust tool.

My calibration of the 'Clik-adjust', for my '64 TR4, using the "method to find
the number of clicks required" on the 'Clik-adjust' package, comes up with 7
clicks for a .010 inches [.254mm] valve clearance . I don't think "on the
ClikAdjust each 'click' equals .002" is accurate on a std TR four cyl engine. I
think each 'click' = .0014 inches on a std TR four cyl engine. I've never used
a Snap-On type valve adjust tool without also using a feeler gauge.

brgds, Jay

'64 Triumph TR4 since '67

===     http://www.vtr.org