[TR] Starter won't go

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Starter won't go
From: Cameron Rooke <beaker211@rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:26:03 -0500 (EST)
Greetings,

  I seek the wisdom of the list. This morning I went out to the car to  head
off to work. When I turned the key, the starter turned just for a  second then
stopped. On the second try, I just heard a click sound  (sounded like it was
coming from under the centre of the dash). I  thought my battery was dead, so I
took the other car to work thinking I  could just boost it later.

  Well, it is later now and boosting it had no effect. I'll point out  that
last weekend I installed a new starter solenoid. Everything worked  fine until
this morning. Swapping the old one back didn't change  anything - same
symptoms.   Sometimes when I turn the ignition ket  to 'accessory' or 'on', I
get no power at all (I can tell cuz the radio  shows no power and none of the
idiot lights come on). The reason I  though my battery was dead this morning
because when I turned the  headlight switch on, nothing happened, so it was
likely for the same  reason.

  So, what are the possible problems here? Bad solenoid? Solenoid not  grounded
properly? Short circuit somewhere? Starter issue? What's the  best order of
action?

  To make matters worse, it is cold in Toronto and I parked the car on  the
driveway last night instead of the garage. And with a steep  driveway, I can't
push it in to work on it in relative comfort. Grr.

  Help, please.

  Cameron
  '71 GT6

===     http://www.vtr.org