Re: [TR] Looking for used TR4 Surre

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Looking for used TR4 Surre
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 05:48:43 EST
Hi Chris,
    I think you might be making the project a lot more difficult and
frustrating, if you try to buy a top piecemeal. For one thing, you will find
certain
parts very hard to find separately. Also, there were some aftermarket versions
of the two-piece hardtop, the parts of which may not be interchangeable among
themselves and the original stuff.
   The roof, rear window glass and frame are the most difficult individual
items to get and probably are best bought as a set if at all possible. All the
rubber trim, the attaching hardware,  the headliner, the vinyl roof panel and
it's folding frame are pretty easily available. I'd suggest you just start
looking for as complete a top as possible and save up your $ until the right
one
comes along.
    Oh, and you will need to replace the stainless steel fender top trim
strips with the longer ones from TR4A, too.
    I finally got a top for my TR4 a few months ago, after about a year's
serious search. Turned out the seller's TR4 had been wrecked some years ago,
but
he'd kept the top hoping to eventually get another TR4. Never did so finally
decided to sell it. He found me through my webpages on www.triumphowners.com
    Oddly, I located another top almost simultaneously and nearly got it,
too. It was an even better deal and sold very quickly.
    Incidentally, Triumph called only the accessory soft vinyl panel and it's
framework the "surrey". The backlight (glass and aluminum frame) and rigid
roof sections were called the "hard top". I know the word "surrey" is now often
applied to all, but this info might help in your search.
    And, by the way, the first 500 hard tops had an aluminum roof panel.
After that, they were fitted with a steel roof panel.
    Best of luck in your search!
    Alan Myers
    AMfoto1@aol.com
    San Jose, Calif.
    '62 TR4 CT17602L (No leaks... but there's only oil in the diff right now!)
    http://www.triumphowners.com/640http://www.triumphowners.com/640

************************************
I saw a surrey top TR4 a while back and my TR4 has been gnawing at me to get
one for it.
I'm fishing for enough surrey top parts to create a complete one and was
hoping that there may be enough spares or pieces on the list that I might be
able to complete an entire top....
Anybody got mostly serviceable parts they are willing to part with?  They
can be very ugly or incomplete. At this point, I do not think I can be
picky.
Thanks!!!
Chris
63 TR4 - pretty sure everything that can leaks a little
54 TR2 - still leaking after sitting for 15+ years

===     http://www.vtr.org