Re: [TR] TR3 cardboard radiator duct

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 cardboard radiator duct
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 05:28:17 EST
Hi Terry,
    I don't think POR15 would work too well.
    I used fiberglass resin and cloth on the inside of my TR4's original
cardboard gearbox cover. The cover wasn't in good shape when I got the car, but
was able to repair it and reinforce it by laying on a couple layers of the
cloth in key spots and soaking it all well with the resin. A little sanding, a
coat of paint and it was good for another ten years on the road. Probably would
have lasted longer if it had been in good shape to begin with and wasn't
already pretty well coated with oil when I did the rehab. A new piece like you
are
working with should be ideal and in some respects gets less abuse than a
gearbox cover, might hold up even better.
   Hope this helps.
   Alan Myers
   San Jose, Calif.
   '62 TR4 CT17602L
I originally bought the cardboard radiator duct to use as a pattern from which
to make the same thing out of some more durable material.  ...But actually, I
wonder if there isn't some kind of paint or goop to overlay it with to keep it
from melting like the Wicked Witch in water over time.
I'm wondering about POR 15?

===     http://www.vtr.org