RE: [TR] Tr3A Upper wishbone bushing replacement-follow up and

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Tr3A Upper wishbone bushing replacement-follow up and
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:01:28 -0800
> Now for the bad news. The next part of this project was to replace the idler
> arm on the passenger side. I was able to get about 1/2 an inch seperation
> between the hole in the arm and the center tie rod pin and no more. Now I
> can't get it back on.  During the process of wacking and "prying loose" as
> it says in the manual, it seems as though some sort of brass washer popped
> off the top of that joint. Any hints on how to get that thing either off or
> on?

Last time, I used a "pickle fork" tie rod tool to finish forcing the center link
up off the pin of the silentbloc.  But my silentbloc was already separated, and
it sounds like yours isn't yet.  With the center link out of the way, I removed
the idler arm with the silentbloc pin still in it, and bashed the pin out with
the arm held in a vise.

Next time, I intend to try a tool similar to the one on the right in this photo
http://www.otctools.com/frames-newcatalog.php3

> Is that washer important?

Yeah, kinda.  It keeps the rubber from sliding up and down on the pin (once the
bond is broken, which is when it should be replaced).  If the joint moves up or
down, it will louse up your toe-in adjustment, and can potentially make the car
unsafe to drive.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org