RE: [TR] tires and wheels ok w/ the tr3?

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] tires and wheels ok w/ the tr3?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:08:11 -0800
> I've got some cool looking slotted mag wheels that I intend to use on my
> car.  I think they came off a TR6.  I think they fit alright on my 60'
> TR3A... is there a problem with that?

Depends on the wheel width and offset.  The TR6 has more room under the
fenders, so a wider range of wheels and tires will fit.  I've been using
stock TR6 wheels on my TR3A, and they work fine for me.

> I showed all my wheels to the tire salesman who's helping me.  Tomorrow, I
> am gonna buy 225/60R15's for the rear.  I've looked it up and the aspect
> ratios are the same

Slight terminology problem there, Paul.  The "60" _is_ the aspect ratio and
it's nowhere near the same.  I assume you mean they are the same
circumference or perhaps same rolling radius.

> although I could also go slightly narrower in the rear
> with a 215/60R15.  I am using stock fenders on my TR3A and I like the wide
> look.  Are these rear tires ok with the TR3?

Based on my own experience, I don't think they are going to work.  I run
205/55 tires on my TR6 wheels, and they rub on the rear fenders of my 59
TR3A even after some fairly extensive tweaking.  And they clear the frame by
less than 10mm, so even running wheels with more offset is not going to
solve the problem.  YMMV of course.

I wouldn't suggest anything beyond 185/65 as being an unconditional fit, and
even then it depends on the wheels you've chosen.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org