Re: [TR] looking for original TR6 steering wheel

To: Greg <one_second_zero@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: [TR] looking for original TR6 steering wheel
From: stantr6@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:37:34 +0000
Greg,
Want a project ??
I remanufactured my wheel by removing the rotted moulded rubber from the metal
frame, having the frame powder coated.  I bought two 4' lengths of hose, ID of
smaller to fit around the frame, ID of the larger = to the OD of the smaller.
I then epoxyed two layers of hoses to the rim.  Split smaller hose lengthways,
notch around the three legs, glue in place and wrap with tape while glue dries.
 Repeat with larger hose.

I used a rounded profile wood rasp to rasp in the grip grooves on the back of
the wheel.

Then I ordered a black leather "Wheekskin" wrap.  You need the exact dimensions
they ask for when ordering.  When you get it, it will appear too small.  But,
as they say, "tight is right".  Sewing that wrap on was the hardest part, but
the wheel looks real close to original.  See photos attached.
Stan

From: Greg <one_second_zero@yahoo.com>

> Anyone know of a source for the original NOS style late TR6 steering wheel?
>Or
> does anyone have an excellent used one they would want to part with (needs to
>be
> near perfect condition). TRF is out of stock on new ones and my old one is
> starting to get kind of ratty. I know there are lots of aftermarket steering
> wheels available, but I want to keep it stock.
>
> Thanks, Greg

WHEEL1.JPG]

WHEEL2.JPG]

P1010024a.JPG]