[TR] Stripped insert piece sump bolt hole

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Stripped insert piece sump bolt hole
From: CFisher@borgwarner.com
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 07:41:40 -0500
Listers,
Last night as I buttoned up the oil pan on my TR3A engine, I found the
threads were stripped in the hole in the (aluminum?) Sealing piece that goes
under front main bearing cap. Oh bother!!!!

The engine is in the car.

Can I work that sealing peice out to put a helicoil in it?

Should I attempt putting a helicoil in with the peice in the engine?

Is there another option I'm over looking?

Suggestions on what approach to take would be very welcome.

Cheers,
Curt Fisher

59TR3A- So close to rising like a phoenix!
59 Bugey Sprite vintage racer
03 MINI Cooper
WWW.essex1.com/people/fishnet/ <http://www.essex1.com/people/fishnet/>
Spritely Vintage Racing Homepage.

"Racing is life, everything that comes before, or after is just waiting",
Steve McQueen from Le Mans.

"Compared to Road Racing, heroin addiction is like a vague longing for
something salty"

===     http://www.vtr.org