RE: [TR] Stripped insert piece sump bolt hole

To: <CFisher@borgwarner.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Stripped insert piece sump bolt hole
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 07:25:20 -0700
> Last night as I buttoned up the oil pan on my TR3A engine, I found the
> threads were stripped in the hole in the (aluminum?) Sealing piece that goes
> under front main bearing cap. Oh bother!!!!
>
> The engine is in the car.
>
> Can I work that sealing peice out to put a helicoil in it?

Sure, I've done it many times (remove the sealing block, that is).  Most likely
the gasket between it and the front plate will tear as you remove the block, so
use just a little "form-a-gasket" when you put it back in.

> Should I attempt putting a helicoil in with the peice in the engine?

It could be done, but I would remove the sealing block.  More time consuming,
but a higher chance of success, IMO.

And next time, don't torque those bolts so hard !  They aren't supposed to have
much, the "book" torque is only 16-18 ft lb.  Overtightening will crush the cork
gasket, distort the flange surface, and cause oil leaks.  Not to mention
stripped threads :)

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org