[TR] loose handled petcock valve?

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] loose handled petcock valve?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:46:00 -0400
I wonder if my petcock valve is working right?  The brass petcock valve is
screwed into the TR4 engine block just above the starter and when opened it
drains the coolant from the engine.  The problem is the 1" spigot handle
opens very easily and if I need to adjust my carbs from underneath, it's
inevitable that i'll accidentily brush against this valve and open it.  It
is in the closed position (on my car) when the 1" handle is pointing
straight towards the right side of the car.  Can I wrap it shut with a piece
if wire or something?
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A