Re: [TR] Negative Pressure in Crankcase

To: hoyt@cavtel.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Negative Pressure in Crankcase
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:19:49 EDT
In a message dated 4/10/06 9:31:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hoyt@cavtel.net
writes:

<< Negative crankcase pressure is used in high horsepower engines to help, I
 believe, reduce windage HP losses. A separate vacuum pump is used.>>

That and lower tension piston rings can be used reducing friction.  Piston
rings are dynamic devices, pressure gets behind the ring forcing it outwards
for
a better seal.  This all works better if you have a slight vacuum in the
crankcase.  At high vacuum levels the wrist pins can be starved for oil since
the
oil cloud is reduced.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219&highlight=cross

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/vacuum-pumps.html

<< At 500+ HP, I suspect that the energy used to drive the pump is negligible
 versus the benefit it provides, but at our 100 HP level, it would be just
for
 show. >>

The vac pump is similar to a emission air pump, HP use is in the 1 to 2
range.  All size motors can benefit if ring tension is reduced, just hanging on
pump won't do anything other than reduce oil leaks.

Drag racers had long used a emission check valve plumbed into the exhaust and
the other end attached to the valve covers, no special venturi needed.

Harold

===     http://www.vtr.org