[TR] TR3's engine & gearbox won't come togather

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3's engine & gearbox won't come togather
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 22:30:53 -0400
    Sorry about the inactivity!
I am trying to put my TR3's non-od tranny and engine back togather with the
engine mounted in the car.
The tranny lacks about 1" or 1 1/2" of mounting up with the engine.  I have
used all-thread as guide bolts to aid with lining it up, but it still won't
go togather.  The clutch assembly has been properly assembled, however, the
gearbox was inadvertenly left in first gear (and now refuses to disengage
even with light hammer tapping), also the tranny's rear shaft/flange will
not move as will not the engine- it seems as they are stuck or pinched
togather.  I recently loosened the guide bolts and shoke the tranny w/out
either rear flange nor gearshift being able to move. The rear of the gearbox
has not been factened down yet, in fact, if I use a jack under the engine to
lift it, the tranny also raises because of the guidebolts.  If I move the
clutch lever on the tranny, I can hear the throwout bearing properly going
back and forth on the shaft.
    It seems to me that transmission shaft is simply not going in the pilot
bearing, however, 3 guide bolts have been used to align tranny w/ engine.
While these guide bolts have not seen substantial torque, it would seem to
me that they seem to want to pre-maturely tighten (as if they were all the
way in).  Also, about a week ago, all parts were successfully tightened (in
the car).  The only reason for their dissassemly was I (wrongfully)
suspected a flywheel attachment bolt as possibly being the reason for a
froze crankshaft.
    Because it is so labor intensive, I hope to avoid taking everything back
apart.  I have already taken them apart once, because I forgot to remove the
clutch alignment tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wonder if it's imperative for it to be in neutal when this is done?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey- 60 TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org