RE: [TR] engine RUNNING!!!

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] engine RUNNING!!!
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:32:57 -0700
>     I believe both carbs are suppose to act exactly alike, right?

Yes.

> Question: How much crossover
> vacuum/mixture flows thru the middle tube of the intake manifold?

Normally very little, although I believe it does pulse back and forth as the
front & rear pairs of cylinders take turns sucking mixture.

>  Is this
> tube just suppose to equalise pressure?

Yes.

>     After about 12-15 minutes the water temp began to rise from about 160 to
> 210, so I shut it off.  I had a box fan 6" away from the radiator because
> the engine's fan is broken.
>     Initially when I cranked it today, the oil pressure came up to about
> 60psi within 30 seconds, however, after about 10 minutes it dropped to
> 40-50, but as it was overheating the gauge read 30 psi.

Seems reasonable.

> Essentially it
> keeps this carb's piston from completely closing so it hangs on the jet with
> about 3/16" before it hits the bottom of it's fall.  Could this account for
> the lack of this carb's vacuum?

No, the mixture piston has only a minor effect on air flow.  And having it stuck
open would increase, not decrease, the flow.

> Autozone doesn't rent timing lights!

The static (test lamp) method is plenty close enough, until you can drive the
car.  Then use the road test method for a final setting.

>     Now that I think about it, I think an ideal break-in is when the engine
> is under very little or no load.

Opinions vary widely on this point.  Mine is that a varied load and rpm is best,
avoiding the extremes.  More throttle makes more cylinder pressure, which helps
the rings seat.

So, now that you've heard it run, get it put together and go for a drive !

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org