[TR] where the TR3 rubber meets the road

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] where the TR3 rubber meets the road
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:45:58 -0400
So much for the yardwork...

I started to bolt the gearbox to the driveshaft today, only to find out only
2 of the 4 bolt holes match up!  I have another driveshaft (both w/ new
u-joints), and I think the other one was in the car to start with, so I hope
all 4 holes match up with it.  I suppose trial running with only 2 bolts
matching is ok, but I should match all 4, right?  If I ever need to swap
flanges from one driveshaft to the other- can this be done?
     I am far from road ready, so trial running means running the car on
jack stands.  Don't worry, I've got all 4 wheels off the ground with them
being good and sturdy.  I suppose this is permissable, however, since I've
got a newly rebuilt motor which has only ran at 2000 rpm for 30 minutes, I'm
going to try and wait until it's street legal to break it in gently with
varying light loads and speeds.  But already I'm itching to hear the new
glasspacks I installed.  Since the engine is running good on all 4
cylinders, I guess the vacuum leak can't be too bad, right?
    Since it is up and off the ground I noticed something I didn't know.  If
I rotate one rear wheel the other one doesn't move.  Usually on modern cars,
the other rear wheel spins in the opposite direction, and I've been told
that that was positive traction.  And I guess our cars lack this?  What
exactly is it that we are missing?
    Also, when I turn the driveshaft by hand, only the right rear tire
turns- why is this?
Thanks in advance for answering this, and I'll try to get a pic up this week
to put an end to this 'hoax',
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3

===     http://www.vtr.org