RE: [TR] where the TR3 rubber meets the road

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] where the TR3 rubber meets the road
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:54:20 -0700
> I started to bolt the gearbox to the driveshaft today, only to
> find out only
> 2 of the 4 bolt holes match up!

Are you sure you're using the right pair of holes ?  You may have to turn
the driveshaft 90 degrees to make them match.

>     Since it is up and off the ground I noticed something I
> didn't know.  If
> I rotate one rear wheel the other one doesn't move.

Generally, that indicates a problem.  Dragging brakes is most common.

>  Usually on modern cars,
> the other rear wheel spins in the opposite direction, and I've been told
> that that was positive traction.

No ... if the other wheel turns the _same_ direction, then most likely the
differential is a limited-slip.  (Posi-traction is a brand name for a type
of limited slip differential.)

>  And I guess our cars lack this?  What
> exactly is it that we are missing?

It's true our cars did not come standard with limited slip differentials.
But that is the same as the "modern cars" you mentioned.  Limited slip diffs
are expensive and troublesome, so they are usually only found in situations
where they are needed, like off-road and on the race track.

>     Also, when I turn the driveshaft by hand, only the right rear tire
> turns- why is this?

Something is making the left wheel harder to turn.  Doesn't need to be much.
It's the differential's job to apply equal force to both rear wheels.  If
enough force to turn one wheel will not turn the other wheel, then only one
wheel turns.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org