[TR] Disconnecting Frozen Exhaust Pipes

To: "Triumph Email List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [TR] Disconnecting Frozen Exhaust Pipes
From: "Marty Clark" <marty.tr6@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 19:51:26 -0700
Got my new dual exhaust system for my TR6 but I can't get the old mid-pipes
disconnected. I did not get a header, but now that I am working with the
front exhaust I see it's in worse shape than what I thought when I looked at
it before buying the system. I'll have to add that to the growing list of
items to do. I have the muffler off, all the clamps and hangers up to the
front pipes. I have gently pried open three of the four flanges on each
front pipe, which is staying, and have heated it up with a torch. Rear
pipes don't budge from the front. I can't even twist either of the rear
pipes, tried a pipe wrench, let alone pull them part.
Any suggestions other than taking it to a muffler shop?

I did piece the new system together on the floor just to make sure I have
evrything and it all fits together. One connection would not mate. Ran to
Checker and they "loaned" me a exhaust pipe expander (with a deposit). Fits
just fine now. All I need is to remove the rest of the old system!

Marty Clark
Gilbert, AZ
1974 TR6 CF17352U
http://www.triumphowners.com/798