[TR] hidden power unleashed

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] hidden power unleashed
From: "Thomas Note" <tom623@glinenet.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 00:12:36 -0400
I haven't been happy with the power of our (daughter & me)  '76 TR6 for some
time, especially its reluctance to continue to rev much beyond 4K rpm, even
tho it has mild mods like cam, head milled, header, Monza, etc.
Today I was checking the timing and plugs, and also adjusted the mixture on
the ZS carbs, which were running a little rich. After resetting them I
decided to see if right-foot WOT was really opening the butterflys fully. I
had checked the linkage previously , of course, but always at the carb
linkage end of things.
I found to my surprise that when the accel pedal was fully depressed against
the stop that the throttle plates were only opening about 3/4 of full
throttle, and the linkage was not hitting the stops on the carbs, though it
could be made to do so with a manual assist at the carbs. So I shortened the
long adjustable rod by just under 1/2" and got full throttle consistently.
No effect on idle speed.
Needless to say, when I took it for a short test ride it was a major
improvement. Acceleration thru the first 3 gears was MUCH more impressive,
and it winds readily to 5500rpm now. Responds much more vigorously when
punched at any speed.
Apologies for the long post, but I had to pass it along.
Tom

===     http://www.vtr.org