RE: [TR] Fuel tank vent pipe on tr3

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Fuel tank vent pipe on tr3
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:25:58 -0700
> I have looked at the fuel line diagram which is in the Service Manual.(fuel
> system chapter, figure 1, no.s 5-8)  It shows that on the tank where the
> float mechanism is, is also where a vent pipe is located.  Unfortunately,
> this and a few other parts were not on my 'abandoned project' when I bought
> it.  I am wondering what is suppose to go on top of this float mechanism/lid
> top w/ 1/4" gas gauge connection terminal?  I also don't have this 'vent
> pipe?  Can someone help?

Paul, I think you've misinterpreted the diagram.  The vent does not go in the
same hole as the float/fuel gauge sender.  It is a separate fitting on the tank,
with a banjo (shown between items 6 & 7) and hollow bolt (item 5) at the tank,
and a tube that runs over the side and down through a hole in the floor (item
8).

My suggestion would be to plug or cap off the original tank vent, as I've had
problems with it slopping fuel on the ground in corners. Check your fuel cap, I
think you will find a small hole in the plate that actually closes off the fuel
tank opening, which is all that is necessary to vent the tank.  My "tank" vent
has been blocked off since about 1983 with no ill effects.

The fuel tank sender has a round plate on top, with 6 (as I recall) holes spaced
evenly around the edge.  There are 6 screws that go through the holes, and into
matching threaded holes in the tank.  There's also a cork gasket in there.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org