RE: [TR] TR3 Radiator Cap

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 Radiator Cap
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:29:33 -0700
> Randall,
>
> In archives, I see you posted a problem with auto parts stores having an
> incorrect listing for radiator caps.  You commented,
>
> >I belive the correct Stant part number is 11208, which is listed for
> ">TR4 with special head", but I won't know for sure until the one I
> >ordered shows up.
>
> I need to purchase a radiator cap.  Just out of curiosity, did you ever
> resolve this one?

As I recall, the resolution was that the Stant catalog was simply wrong.
They do not make a cap with the correct 1 inch "reach" for early TRs.  Some
number of late TR4s with the "no neck" radiator apparently did take a 3/4
inch cap, as did all (?) TR4A, and those caps are available (or at least
were) from Stant.

If you look at your radiator fill neck, you should be able to easily see the
surface inside the neck where the plunger seats to seal the coolant.  Stick
a ruler in and measure to the top of the neck.  If the measurement is 1",
then you need an early cap (readily available from Moss, TRF et al).  If
it's 3/4" then you need a later cap.

Note that some people have had the early radiators converted to take the
later cap (my radiator guy suggested this when I had my radiator worked on).
Installing a 1" reach cap on a 3/4" neck leads to some interesting problems,
like the upper hose blowing up like a balloon and then bursting.  Took one
of our local club members a long time to figure that one out !

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org