[TR] Seeking opinions on homemade alignment jig

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Seeking opinions on homemade alignment jig
From: "Randy&Val DeRuiter" <deruiterville@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:39:35 -0500
List-

I am just beginning the front end rebuild on my TR4.  Part of this involves
removal and rebushing of my steering rack.  I was thinking of making a
homemade wheel alignment jig for refitting as follows:

Build metal frame to boilt to wheel studs and attach a cheap laser pointer
to the frame.

Buld two of them, mount them on each wheel, use a level on each wheel for
consistency and mark spot on garage wall where each laser hits.

After refitting, adjust toe in until laser spots are matched again.

I am rebuilding everything (bushings/springs/ball joints/trunnions/etc.) and
will have the car on jacks, unmoved from before when doing this alignment.
I think given that the TR4 castor and camber are fixed I should have pretty
much the same geometry before and after the rebuild, so the toe-in could be
matched - this would at least get me close to what I have now, until I find
a shop I trust to do final alignment.

Does this seem reasonable or is it a potential fool's errand?

Thanks
Randy
65 TR4 on jacks

===     http://www.vtr.org