RE: [TR] Seeking opinions on homemade alignment jig

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Seeking opinions on homemade alignment jig
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:55:55 -0700
> Build metal frame to boilt to wheel studs and attach a cheap
> laser pointer to the frame.
>
> Buld two of them, mount them on each wheel, use a level on each wheel for
> consistency and mark spot on garage wall where each laser hits.

Seems like a lot of work to me, just to duplicate whatever errors you had
before.  I made a simple tool from scrap wood to allow me to measure
directly at the surface of the tires (using lines I scribe onto the tread
with the wheel spinning, to pick up the true axis of rotation).  With that,
I can set toe to whatever value I want (and experiment with different values
to see the effect on handling, etc.).

The tool is a length of 1x2, with two appx 4x12 rectangles of Masonite
nailed to it.  After marking the tires, I lower the car, bounce it a few
times and make sure the steering is centered (toe changes as the wheels
turn).  Slide the tool behind the front wheels and rotate until the 1x2 is
on the floor, but the edges of the Masonite are at the centerline of the
wheel.  Transfer the marks to the edge of the Masonite.  Then move the tool
in front of the wheels and measure the difference between the marks and the
lines.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org