RE: [TR] TR3/4 trunnion rebuild question

To: "Randy&Val DeRuiter" <deruiterville@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3/4 trunnion rebuild question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:05:14 -0700
> 1)  Press the old bushes out.  Normally I use a vice and two sockets, works
> great for the nylon ones.

That's the way I did mine, but I made a mandrel to push against the edge of the
bushing.  Another option might be to cut the old ones with a hacksaw to get them
out, then use a block of wood or smooth metal so the vice jaws don't chew up the
new ones.

> 2)  How to ream to fit.  I was considering just patiently working the
> trunnion in with ample lubrication as the fit is close unpressed.

It may depend on your A-arms, but mine were way too tight to even consider
forcing the new trunnions in.  However, a fixed "chucking" reamer (don't mess
with the adjustable kind) is only about $15 from Enco.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRAR?PMSECT=676

> 3)  If I shouldn't do this, I'll take recommendations on a shop in the
> Houston TX area.

Sorry, no help there.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org