[TR] Tight Steering

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Tight Steering
From: Doug Mathews <mathews@uga.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 19:55:46 -0400
List,

Tonight I disassembled the TR3 steering..I have a split shaft
adjustable steering so I separated the shafts and the upper shaft
turned easily. So I separated the  shafts and there was no binding in
the upper 1/2 shaft.
Next I separated the drop arm form the center tie rod and reconnected
the upper and lower shafts. No stiffness felt.

Then I removed the outer tie rod ball joints and moved each wheel by
hand and both moved freely. I removed the tie rod ball joints and are
they stiff, so stiff I could not turn 2 of them by had.  So I've
ordered 4 new ball joints and boots for the tie rods.  The remainder
of the steering mechanism turns fine when reconnected to the drop arm

Thanks for al the info on this problem.

I'll let everyone know when its all back together how it goes.

Thanks again.

Doug

===     http://www.vtr.org