RE: [TR] A-Type Overdrive Lever Adjustment Problem

To: "Michael Godley" <mgodley@tiac.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] A-Type Overdrive Lever Adjustment Problem
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 14:00:06 -0700
> The shop manual and Moss catalog show a collar, and a seal/o-ring
> respectively.  On my unit there is a 1/4 inch thick washer or
> distance piece on the shaft between the lever and the body....is this
> the collar?

Sounds like it to me.

> .....or is there a piece which slips over the shaft?

Not sure I understand this question ... isn't the washer/distance
piece/collar/whatever a "piece which slips over the shaft" ?

> Also, there is no seal or 0-ring visible...what is the proper configuration?

Unless you've disassembled it, the O-ring is not visible.  It sits in a small
groove on the side of the OD and is covered by the collar.

> Suppose I could order new lever

They used to be really cheap at TRF, don't know if they still are.

> but concerned I could have the same
> problem if something else if missing.

The other parts are for sealing, so should have no impact on fastening the lever
to the shaft.

>  Your counsel would be
> appreciated......if my configuration is correct any suggesions on
> best way to approach this

That joint has a lot of force applied to it, and if it has been loose for some
time, the shaft is probably worn only where the lever tries to grip it.  I'd
start with Dave's suggestion of grinding out the gap in the lever a bit; and if
that doesn't work, try Robert Pirsig's suggestion of a shim cut from a beer can.
Then a new lever.  You could also try adding a thin washer between the lever and
the spacer, so the lever tries to grab a new part of the shaft.  If none of that
works, you're probably stuck with having to remove and disassemble the unit to
replace the shaft.

One other "last ditch" effort comes to mind (but it's not for the faint of heart
nor have I tried it) ... you could remove the pin that locates the "adjustment
lever" to the other end of the shaft, and insert a snug fitting thin washer
between it and the housing.  That would move the shaft over a bit more, moving
the operating lever farther onto the 'virgin' section of shaft.  But don't blame
me if it doesn't work.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org