[TR] Fwd: TR3a fuel gauge sender

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Fwd: TR3a fuel gauge sender
From: "Jim Wallace" <grandfatherjim@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 20:37:45 -0400
"the contact between the wpers and the wirewound resistor is intermittent in
some spots"

....or so I thought!
After careful disassembly (during which I managed to break the little
resistive wire anyway) wiper cleaning, resistor cleaning, and reassembly,
the resistance was still flaky as the float moved its arm through its range
of travel.
Time to sit back and stare at it, and... aha!!   I hadn't tightened the two
nuts and bolts that hold the lid on the can fully, and they complete the
ground path.
Tighten them up and...  voila!! oh. Still couldn't get consistent
measurements.
It turns out the actual cause of the difficulties was that the mating
surfaces of the can and its lid were making poor electrical contact - 46
year old corrosion. While it didn't look too bad to the naked eye,
scrupulous cleaning with emery cloth proved that indeed this was the
culprit.
So, if your fuel gauge is hopping about, it could be easier to fix for you
than it was for me.
Jim