[TR] re:re: TR4A Rear Oil Seal Tool Alternative

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] re:re: TR4A Rear Oil Seal Tool Alternative
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 03:04:55 EDT
Ps;
Guy,  I also meant to write: after centering your rear scroll seal remove all
the thread from the crank journals and the crank scroll - then reassemble
again clean.
You wouldn't want anything left in there that will end up getting shredded
and pumped through your engine's lubrication system.
Regards,
Carl
---------------------------
Guy,
A very successful TR3 racer, Hardy Prentice, still uses the original style
rear oil seal effectively on the race track. Hardy once told me you can wrap
sewing thread around the main crankshaft journals (to take up the approx
.0015"-.0025" gap between shells and journals) then wrap the scroll (crossing
the
scroll somewhat diagonally I imagine with the thread) to take up the .003"
factory
clearance specs there.
You're basically building up the journals and scroll to close clearances
thereby physically centering the crank and seal.
Not sure about thickness of thread or how many times to wrap etc - but seems
very doable..
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74
I am thinking about an alternative to using the rear oil seal mandrel
tool.
Would it be possible to use the actual crankshaft itself?  Seems to me
that the actual crankshaft to be used with the rear oil seal
would be a far more accurate measure than some tool.

===     http://www.vtr.org