RE: [TR] brake line blow-out

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] brake line blow-out
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 15:16:49 -0700
> With compressed air could I blow my TR3's REAR BRAKE LINE if I
> take it off at
> the brass 5-way valve?  I would rather not disconnect the line
> from the rear
> brass "T" OR the rear wheels (which I have done in the recent past).

Paul, I don't understand your question, nor what you hope to accomplish with
this.  If you are asking if the line will withstand the pressure from your
compressed air, the answer is yes.  Brake hydraulics have to handle
pressures far beyond what anyone will have in their home air compressor.

But since the other end of the line is connected, you won't accomplish much
beyond making a mess.

AND, potentially causing brake failure later on.  Shop air is usually
contaminated to some extent with both oil (from the compressor) and water
(from the air) ... both are things you definitely do NOT want in your brake
system.

If you think there is anything inside your brake lines other than brake
fluid or air, I would strongly suggest just replacing them.  Rust or dirt of
any kind is the enemy of all hydraulic systems, and with the TR3's
single-circuit brakes, the risk of trying to use a contaminated system is
much higher.  Losing your brakes ain't no fun at all !

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org