RE: [TR] Fuel Filters

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Fuel Filters
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 21:05:33 -0700
> My experience with todays fuel is ="paper fuel filters"= will clogg-up very
> quickly and not let gas through the paper elements, you will not be able to
> even see the blockage, the bowl will be full, but no fuel moving forward, had
> it happen to me about 4 times trying various filters, finnally went to a rock
> element type and no further problems

That says you're getting water in your fuel.  Common problem with paper ... it
swells when it gets wet.  When it swells enough, the pores close up and it will
no longer pass fuel.  That's why you're supposed to change them every year or
so.

But carbureted engines aren't much bothered by water in the fuel.  It might
stumble a bit when the water is sucked through, but then it's gone.  Hence using
another type of filter solves the problem nicely.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org