RE: [TR] Flywheel to Crankshaft

To: "Guy D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Flywheel to Crankshaft
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 16:53:32 -0400
Guy
I normally put the flywheel on after taking the engine off the stand just
before attaching the transmission or installing into the car.  I normally
install the engine and tranny as a unit.  It is difficult if not impossible
to get the flywheel on while on an engine stand.  Once the flywheel is on,
install the clutch, then you are ready to mate the tranny (don't forget to
install and lube the pilot bearing).

I belive you are making a bad assumption that the bolts are self locking.
There are very few self locking bolts in the automotive industry and were
not stock on the TR engine.  More likely, the last person who installed the
flywheel neglected to install the tabs.  What do the bolts look like?  Is
there any evidence of locktite on the threads?  Do they look like the same
type bolts found on the engine?  If they are not marked on the head, look
different than the other bolts, or if they have threads all the way to the
head they are most likely the wrong ones and should not be used.  If the
tabs were left off, the PO may not have taken the time to get the correct
strength bolts.  If any question, replace with new and put the tab washers
on.  Very little cost and trouble to make sure it is done right.
Pete