RE: [TR] Flywheel to Crankshaft

Subject: RE: [TR] Flywheel to Crankshaft
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 07:39:02 -0700
> According to the Moss catalog, self-locking bolts were used from TR4 engine
> #CT34072E  through 4A.  The locktabs were used prior, so TR3-late TR4.
>
> I disagree that self-locking bolts were not stock on the TR engine.  The
> connecting rod bolts also changed from tab lock to self locking at TR4
> engine #CT34072E, and continued through 4A production.  As I understand it,
> the bolts are interchangeable as long as you use the locktabs with the
> earlier style bolt.  If your TR flywheel did not have locktabs, I would just
> buy a new set of self-locking bolts and rest assured.

Somehow I missed the original post, but I agree with Chris.  Self-locking bolts
were used on some TRactor motors.

In addition, under severe conditions, the (soft) locktabs can pound out and
cause looseness just where you don't want it ... many racers recommend not using
them on flywheel or con rod bolts.  You can either use the self-locking bolts,
which should be replaced every time, or use Loctite.  But if you use the
original "locktab" bolts without locktabs, be sure to check that they don't
bottom in the hole (for con rods) or interfere with other things (for
flywheels).

After having a locktab break off and cause loss of oil pressure on the freeway,
I use original early bolts with Loctite.  Works for me.  Be sure the threads are
nice and clean, so the Loctite works.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org