Re: [TR] gas pedal Houdini

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] gas pedal Houdini
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 02:30:37 -0400
>I don't know how I did it but years ago when dissassembling my TR3 I took
>out
> the 2' accelerator pedal and shaft without enlarging the 1 1/2" holes in
> the
> body just above the tranny.  The book shows this shaft will come apart by
> drifting out two tiny mill pins (which are barely visable and I know my
> alteration would definatly not be an improvement).  This shaft is held
> solid
> by 2 plastic donut-looking white bearings which allow the shaft to pass
> thru.
> If only I could pass thru the hole one of the metal bearing-half retainors
> then I would not need to take it apart.  And I am not Houdini so how did I
> get
> one thru that 1 1/2" hole?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Dorsey
> TR3A

----------------------------

Paul,

Just went through this.   The picture of the assembly is misleading.  The
shaft is NOT broken into two pieces held together by those two pins.
Instead, all the pieces (including the one that has the two pins going
through it, and which serves as a keeper for the white plastic bushing
nearest the pedal) all slide onto the long gas pedal rod.  Moreover, there
may not be two pins in the keeper:  mine only had one.  Once you've punched
(I had to drill) that pin out, you'll have to heat the keeper and spray
liberally with penetrating fluid.  Work the  keeper loose with a gentle yet
persuasive repetition of heat, lube, and rocking with vise grips.  Once
loose, don't beat it with a hammer, rather use vise grips to rock and tap
(against the vise grips) lightly down the length of the rod which you've
prepped with lubricant.  The rod may be a bit warped too, but don't clamp
directly with any kind of vise because that will gnurl the metal and the
keeper won't slide off until you've filed all that displaced metal away.

I used cotter pins to reassemble.

Have fun!

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A (waiting for the rain to stop in New Hampshire so I
can get back to work!)

===     http://www.vtr.org