Re: [TR] OT: Uneven rear brake pad wear

To: "Blake J. Discher" <bdischer@blakedischer.com>,
Subject: Re: [TR] OT: Uneven rear brake pad wear
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 19:27:07 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Blake J. Discher" <bdischer@blakedischer.com>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 5:21 PM
Subject: [TR] OT: Uneven rear brake pad wear

> Hi everyone... I am replacing rear brake pads and drum on my Jeep
> Cherokee.
> On the pass side, the pads were worn to the metal, but on the driver's
> side
> there was still plenty of pad left.  What explains the uneven wear?  The
> cylinders look to be functioning OK on both sides.  Thanks for any advice.

Blake-
    Uneven wear could be a result of many things on that Jeep rear drum
setup. I worked at a Chrysler dealer for some time and have had to repair
many Cherokees.
    Dave Massey is correct as the adjusters are the most likely culprit.
However, brake dust and debris inside the drum could play a role as well.
The shoes need to move on the backing plate in order to apply and release.
If the backing plate/shoe contact has built up brake dust, this could
prevent one or both shoes from moving effectively. There also is the park
brake pawl and cable as most of the Cherokees were of "self-adjusting" style
of drum brakes. These will have a tendency to bind with high mileage
vehicles.
    Let's face it, the environment inside a brake drum is not exactly
sterile, and that dust gets everywhere in there. Add some water, or brake
fluid from a leaking wheel cylinder and it can make dried paste.
My recommendation is when you do the shoes, get a new hardware kit and
replace all the springs and hold downs. Clean the backing plate and lube all
the raised flat spots with a little hi-temp brake grease. Not a lot, just a
film. Also take the starwheel adjuster apart, clean and lube it as well. If
the drums have more than 80K on them, replace them as well. Just my opinion,
YMMV.
Good luck.............
Tim Hutchisen
71 TR6