Re: [TR] Battery Charger hookup on Positive Ground Car?

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Battery Charger hookup on Positive Ground Car?
From: Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 20:56:07 -0700
Dave1massey@cs.com wrote:

>...The only difference is the red lead now goes to the battery
>terminal that is attached to the chassis...  If
>you choose to make one of the connections to the car chassis or the engine
>block
>this could be important.

Indeed, I was taught that the final connection should be the ground (+
in Paul's case) and should be to the engine block.  The idea is that the
last connection is the one that may spark and you don't want a spark
right there at the battery.  Maybe not too critical when hooking it up
but after the battery has been charging for awhile could be dangerous
(Hydrogen gas in the area of the battery) so the ground is also the
first one you disconnect, again to keep any spark away from the battery..

True?  Or old wives tale?

Geo H