[TR] Why brake fluid rust resevoirs?

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Why brake fluid rust resevoirs?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:24:23 -0400
Why is it our Master Cylinder resevoirs aren't eaten up with rust on the
inside?  Particularly, at the top of the inside (the area that sees repeated
wet-then-dry)?

During my restoration, I took my dry one inside the shop.  Several years
later, I've noticed some light rust spots trying to form on the inside that
was previously shiny.  So I took some clean nuts from my bolt collection,
cleaned them first, then put about 20 into the can and shook them around a
bit.  Then I rinsed the resevoir out good with clean brake fluid, doing so
twice.  However, it maybe weeks before it will permanently be holding DOT 4
brake fluid.

Inquiring minds want to know?

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey