Re: [TR] Why brake fluid rust resevoirs?

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: Re: [TR] Why brake fluid rust resevoirs?
From: tr3driver@comcast.net (Randall)
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 17:18:36 +0000
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
> Why is it our Master Cylinder resevoirs aren't eaten up with rust on the
> inside?  Particularly, at the top of the inside (the area that sees repeated
> wet-then-dry)?

The MC reservoir on a TR3A is supposed to be plated with tin and/or lead inside
(as are the brake lines).  The coating should form an effective barrier to rust.

> During my restoration, I took my dry one inside the shop.  Several years
> later, I've noticed some light rust spots trying to form on the inside that
> was previously shiny.  So I took some clean nuts from my bolt collection,
> cleaned them first, then put about 20 into the can and shook them around a
> bit.

IMO that not only means you had at least one tiny hole in the coating before,
but now you may have more (from the corners of the nuts).  I'd look for another
reservoir if you plan to continue using glycol-based (DOT 3/4/5.1) brake fluid.

OTOH, silicone (DOT 5) brake fluid is an excellent rust preventative, so no
need if you convert to DOT 5.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org