[TR] Tank Floats

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Tank Floats
From: Cosmo Kramer <tr4a2712@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 07:15:19 -0700 (PDT)
Hi List!
This is what I have saved from a list member who
replied to a simular question that was asked on this
list some time ago:

Subject: Fuel Gauge Floats
Date:    Mon, 6 May 2002

> I have a couple of fuel gauges, all have a little
fuel
> in the plastic floats. Does anyone carry replacement
>  floats? If not, anyone had success sealing on old
> one? If so what did you use?

Bob, I haven't tried this on a plastic float, but I
don't see why it wouldn't work.  Get some "Hot Fuel
Proof Dope" from a hobby supply store (it's used on
model airplanes).  Heat the float with a hair dryer
(gently, don't want to melt the plastic or explode the
float due to internal pressure) until all the trapped
fuel boils off and escapes.  (Obviously this should be
in a well ventilated area.)  Wipe the surface down
with lacquer thinner or your favorite carb cleaner.
Now paint the entire float with the dope.  Let dry and
apply a second layer (instructions on the bottle ?)
then let that dry thoroughly.  The float should be
good to go.
-Randall
You could also try Joe Curto:
718-762-7878 or
Fax: 718-762-6287 OR
www.joecurtoinc.com

He rebuilt my SU's & he just migh have a fuel tank
float around. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

-Cosmo Kramer

===     http://www.vtr.org