Re: [TR] Tank Floats

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: [TR] Tank Floats
From: Michael Porter <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 17:04:15 -0600
Randall wrote:

>>The hot fuel that it's proof against is model airplane engine fuel, not
>>gasoline.
>>

>Quite right, John.  But since they are both light petroleum fractions (model
>airplane fuel is mostly naphtha and lubricating oil), I thought there was a
>chance it would withstand gasoline as well.  My mistake.

Umm, with one addition that makes some difference--nitromethanol. Most
of the fuelproof dopes are made to resist that additive.

What gives airplane dope less resistance to gasoline is its inability to
resist attack from the minor fractions in gasoline that are there for
fuel blending, winter starting, octane improvement, etc.--particularly
aromatic ring compounds such as benzene and solvents such as toluene and
xylene.  If gasoline were only composed of mid-length non-isomeric
hydrocarbon chains, there probably wouldn't be any problem with the
suggestion.  As it is now, the minor fraction of gasoline is a soup of
compounds that like to eat anything not made to resist them all.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

===     http://www.vtr.org