Re: [TR] TR3a without mechanical fan

To: "Jim Wallace" <grandfatherjim@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3a without mechanical fan
From: <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 13:16:37 -0400
Jim, Those small rubber grommets would not serve as a vibration damper for the
crank in the traditional sense of crank dampers. If they provide any dampening
it would be of the fan itself providing isolation to the crank of any fan
vibrations. I wonder how much help they would be for that purpose also.
Many of us run without a fan and use an electric fan in it's place. In my case
I noticed an improvement in the amount of vibration on my 4A once the fan was
removed and replaced by an electric fan.
I have posted previously that there is a disadvantage to only having an
electric fan. That is at idle at a long stop light or in slow traffic and
before the electric fan's thermostat kicks the fan on there is considerable
build up of underhood temperature. This leads to gas boiling in the float bowls
from latent heat from the exhaust manifold not being blown away by the engine
driven fan. I use a manual over ride when I'm in that situation.
Another thing that's helpful is to use one of Joe Alexander's purpose made heat
shields or to have your exhaust manifold Jet coated. Both in my case.

Just some notes from a been there and done that experience.

JVV

===     http://www.vtr.org