RE: [TR] TR3a without mechanical fan

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3a without mechanical fan
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 10:28:21 -0700
> I was just reading some place that the rubber grommets holding the cooling
> fan act as a vibration damper for the crank. I am planning on
> using only an
> electrical fan.....so will lose the damping effect.
> How serious a matter is this? Is it critical to get some other damper?

Jim, I drove my last TR3A almost every day for over 15 years without the
mechanical fan, well over 100,000 miles and never broke the crank.  Since I
took off the fan extension (to make room for a puller electric fan), I did
have some trouble keeping the pulley hub tight on the crank, but I believe
that was my fault for not ensuring that it was clamped firmly.  Had to make
a piece to fit over the nose of the crank and clamp the hub against the
timing gear.

As I understand it, the first big crank resonance is at 5200 rpm, so unless
you plan to run past factory redline, I don't think the dampening effect is
necessary.  My engine has even seen 5200 (and more) on occasion, but never
for very long.

However, my planned "hot rod" TR3 motor will have a proper damper, courtesy
BFE.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org