Re: [TR] Miatas

To: terryrs@adelphia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Miatas
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 08:42:04 EDT
In a message dated 6/6/2006 7:11:12 PM Central Standard Time,
terryrs@adelphia.net writes:
> As a slightly different wrinkle, I agree with the one who said that the
> part
> of love for these LBC's is paying the dues to keep them on the road.  My own
>
> '59 TR3A frame off has been three years of dues paying.  Uhm, and paying by
> check too....

At one point in time I owned two TR6's.  One was an original 74, dark blue,
beautiful car.  All I did to it was fix the clutch hydraulics, touch up some
paint knicks and a few odds and ends.  The other was a 71 TR6 which I had done
bunch of work on.  I bought it as a bit of a basket case.  By 1998 I had done
a (more or less) frame off on that car and had customized a few things
(mostly electrical).

I eventually decided I wanted a bit more variety in my TR collection and
decided to exchange one of the TR6's for a TR3.  Because I had much lest
invested
(emotionally) in the 74 I felt fewer qualms trading that one off than the 71
(which I still have)

And I guess that is the problem I have with Miata's.  You write a check and
you drive the car.  It is an appliance.  But when you build a car from a pile
of parts refurbished by you what you have is more than just a car.  You have an
extension of yourself.

I have three TR's.  I have done a ground up on two of them.  The third one is
in process.  Maybe therapy will help.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6