RE: [TR] Lucas ignition problem?

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Lucas ignition problem?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 13:54:30 -0700
> On the MGA, the coil is just behind the radiator, mounted on the
> generator.
> Seems to me it shouldn't get outrageously warm there by itself, but...?

Much like the generator on our LBCs, the one on a MGA works hard.  It could
easily be even hotter than the engine block.

Ignition coils generate a fair amount of heat themselves.  I briefly owned a
VW Rabbit with the coil mounted on the firewall, and it still got too hot to
keep your hand on.  How hot undoubtedly depends on circumstances; engine
stopped with the key on and the points closed is the worst case.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org