RE: [TR] TR4 Axle/differential followup and more questions:

To: "TAB" <boggiano@charter.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR4 Axle/differential followup and more questions:
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 17:10:27 -0700
> The rear dampers mounting on the frame were loose, Should they be
> loose or
> tightly fitted, The do look like they are 40 plus years old so I
> am going to
> replace while I am in there

Should definitely be tight.  I have a hard time keeping them that way on my
TR3A, so checking them is part of my lubrication schedule.

> The rear springs now that they are not loaded sag to different
> levels, the
> left side sags about 4 inches more than the right?

4 inches ?!  You must have a broken main leaf.

> Do leaf springs need to
> be replaced on a regular baisis, There look like they are also 40
> years old.

It varies, some sag more than others.  Both of mine had broken main leaves
when I bought the car.

> While I have the entire rear end of the car on the floor of the
> garage what
> else should I do there?

Inspect, mostly.  Might not be a bad time to replace the brake hose.  I
assume you'll be changing the inner wheel bearing seal and the pinion seal.
Now might be a good time to consider changing the wheel bearings and outer
seals, but that is significantly more work.  Need to find someone with the
special tool to separate the hubs, as just putting them in a big press may
distort (ruin) the hubs.

Don't forget to check the end-play on the half shafts, after they are both
installed.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org