[TR] TR6 rough under power

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR6 rough under power
From: "Thomas Note" <tom623@glinenet.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 01:12:43 -0400
Hi all:
"76 TR6 was running a little rough for my daughter, so today I pulled and
cleaned/gapped plugs (they looked good),reset points, checked rotor, dist.
cap and wires. Found one wire with high resistance whe moved around, so
pulled and cleaned the terminal &cap socket and it was OK.
Plugs. points, rotor and condenser have less than 500 miles on them.

Took it for a test ride and everything was fine at first.Then I started
driving it harder, running it up under full throttle thru the gears. all of
a sudden it started to miss badly. Backed off and soon it smoothed out
somewhat. Repeated, and happened again, but worse. Pulling choke out did not
help.

Turned around and headed home. For a while, I didn't think we were going to
make it; miss got very bad with intermittent complete loss of power, then
very rough, stumbling running. Almost like the ignition was being switched
on and off rapidly. After running at light throttle for a minute or so,
things got better and I made it home.

Does this sound like it could be the condenser (even tho new), or maybe the
coil? I don't see anything obvious like a loose coil wire, etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
TIA,
Tom

===     http://www.vtr.org