Re: [TR] Trailers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Trailers
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:13:37 +0100
On Sun, 23 Jul 2006, at around 20:47:55 local time, John Macartney
<standardtriumph@btinternet.com> wrote:
>Michael
>
>The dolly type of trailer you describe is not one that would give me
>any comfort in knowing I had behind my car with another one on it.

Dear John,

This was my gut feeling, although plenty of other listers seem to have
had success with dollies.

> I'm not too sure either how the police view their use when attached to
>another car of possibly similar or equal weight.

And that concerned me, too.

> Don't think I'd like to trust your 2500S brakes in an emergency with
>another quite big Triumph breathing up your exhaust - and that's not a
>reflection on your own technical skills :)

<G>   As it happens, the first car I was thinking of transporting was a
donor 2500S Saloon...

>As you clearly have a storage problem, I think your best way out is to
>hire a proper car trailer as you need one - and fwiw, I wouldn't settle
>for a single axle outfit. I've used them in the past and the flexing of
>the chassis and tyres is very disconcerting. Whenever I need a trailer,
>I'm lucky enough to have a friend with a pukka twin axle job with
>tilting flatbed and an electric winch. The downside to all this is the
>trailer itself weighs about 30cwt - but its the business for *safely*
>hauling cars around the UK.

I had pretty-much reached the same conclusion.   Many thanks for
confirming it for me.

>It's worth remembering too, that:the law requires any trailer with a
>GTW of (I think) more than 250kgs to be fitted with overrun brakes, and
>the guide weight (recognised widely in the UK by the Old Bill) is that
>the all-up weight on your towbar for a saloon or estate car should
>really be no more than 85% of the towcar weight. That in itself limits
>your scope and how it fits in with the lightweight dolly is outside my
>scope. You'd certainly get a finite ruling from Mike Crewes of the TSSC
>who writes a regular monthly column in *Courier.* As he's a policeman
>himself, he ought to know what he's talking about.

I'm saying nothing. <vbg>

>This 85% weight rule does not seem to apply so comprehensively to 4x4's.
>I think your best bet is to try and cultivate some good friends in the
>vintage tractor scene who do ploughing championships etc. They
>all/mostly have 4x4's and some excellent trailers worthy of the name.
>Word has it that they'll always help out those in need for a few pints
>and they're certainly the ones I go to when I need to haul something
>somewhere.

I'll see what I can do.   The only person I currently know who owns a
vintage tractor is my sister - currently living 200 miles away from me -
and she uses it for working the farm!

BTW, did you receive an e-mail from me about the 2500S via the TSSC
website?   I used the link there, rather than e-mailing you direct, as
the club seemed to be saying, "If you want to know anything/everything
about Big Sixes, send a TSSC-member communication to Jonmac."

ATB
--
Mike
Ellie  - 1963 White Triumph Herald 1200 Convertible GA125624 CV

===     http://www.vtr.org