RE: [TR] TR4 Oil and Grease

To: "isharkey" <isharkey@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] TR4 Oil and Grease
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:56:42 -0700
> Recommendations please on which oil brands and types have worked well for
> you in both the gearbox and the differential of a non-overdrive early TR4.

I don't have an early TR4, but I use Valvoline full synthetic gear oil in my
TR3A and Stag differentials.  I credit it for making my TR3A differential
(which was noticeably worn when I got it) last all these years and miles.
I've been using Valvoline "racing" 20W50 motor oil in my (overdrive)
gearboxes, but now that they've reduced the amount of zinc in it, I may try
something else.  Redline MT-90 looks good to me, and others have reported
good results with it.

> The same for suspension grease.

I've tried several different kinds, never noticed any difference in them.  I
believe any quality modern grease will be so far beyond what these cars were
designed for that it makes no difference.  I generally buy Sta-Lube brand
(just because it's readily available), with either "moly" or "teflon"
additive, but ordinary lithium grease is probably just as good.

I should perhaps add that I don't observe factory service intervals.  I
change engine oil every 6 months/5000 miles, and the filter every time.  I
check differential and gearbox levels when changing oil.  Lube the chassis
about once/year; and change the gearbox/differential oil every 2nd or 3rd
year.  I'm not recommending this regimen, just reporting what I use since
that may make a difference to my experiences with lubricants.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org